History of Hurst Foundation
In 1955, Peter F. Hurst established the Hurst Foundation and in doing so, he exhibited tremendous foresight in cultivating the Hurst family legacy of philanthropy. Peter believed strongly in giving back to the country and community that provided the wealth of opportunity for him and his family. His philanthropic efforts supported many organizations including
The Ella Sharp Museum, Jackson Community Foundation and the installation of the Peter F. Hurst Planetarium in a collaborative effort with Jackson Public Schools.
Upon Peter F. Hurst's death in 1969, the Hurst Foundation was funded as part of his estate plan and his son, Anthony P. Hurst, was appointed as President to carry out his vision. Since 1969, Anthony P. Hurst has honored his father's legacy and entrepreneurial spirit by upholding the innovative intent of the Hurst Foundation.
"Distributions shall be furtherance of the public welfare and tend to assist, encourage, and promote the well-doing or well-being of mankind or of the inhabitants of any community."
Over the past 50 years the Hurst Foundation has granted over $15 million in support of organizations to inspire the betterment of local, state, national, and worldwide communities.
Board of Directors
Anthony P. Hurst
Carey Hurst Lefere